Eligible Tax Deductions

Deductions you can claim

When completing your tax return, you’re entitled to claim deductions for some expenses, most of which are directly related to earning your income.

Work-related expenses

To claim a work-related deduction:

  • you must have spent the money yourself and weren’t reimbursed
  • it must directly relate to earning your income
  • you must have a record to prove it.

If the expense was for both work and private purposes, you can only claim a deduction for the work-related portion. Work expenses reimbursed to you by your employer are not deductible.

ATO can seek information from your employer if they think you have claimed a deduction for an expense that you have already been reimbursed for.

You may be able to claim a deduction for expenses you incur that relate to your work, including:

Vehicle and travel expenses
Clothing, laundry and dry-cleaning expenses
Working from home expenses
Self-education expenses
Tools, equipment and other assets
Other work-related deductions

Employees (including casuals) can claim work-related expenses in the income year you incur them. This means if you start employment in June you can claim deductions for work-related expenses you incur in June. Even if you don’t receive your employment income until the next income year.

If you employ someone to assist you in your employment, you cannot claim a deduction for employing that person.

Other deductions

You may also be able to claim a deduction for:

ATO interest – calculating and reporting
Cost of managing tax affairs
Gifts and donations
Interest charged by the ATO
Interest, dividend and other investment income deductions
Personal super contributions
Undeducted purchase price of a foreign pension or annuity
Income protection insurance

Deductions for specific occupations

To find out what deductions you can claim for work-related expenses in your industry or occupation, see Deductions for specific industries and occupations.

Record keeping

You must be able to substantiate your claims for deductions with written evidence if the total amount of deductions you are claiming is greater than $300. The records you keep must prove the total amount, not just the amount over $300.

If the total amount you are claiming is $300 or less, you need to be able to show how you worked out your claims, but you do not need written evidence.

ATO  requires you to keep receipts, logbooks and records for at least 5 years.