Claim your superannuation FREE of charge using ATO DASP online application system and save hundreds of dollars
About departing Australia superannuation payment
If you are a temporary resident working in Australia, your employer has to make 10.5% super guarantee contributions for you if you’re eligible.
You can claim super benefits you accumulated while working in Australia if all of the following apply:
- you visited on a temporary visa (excluding visa sub-classes 405 and 410)
- your visa has ceased to be in effect
- you have left Australia.
You can prepare the application before you leave but can only submit your DASP (departing Australia superannuation payment) application after leaving Australia and once your visa has ceased to be in effect.
Latest DASP Tax Rate Changes
From 1 July 2017, a new tax rate of 65% applies to departing Australia superannuation payments (DASPs) made to former temporary residents who were working holiday makers (WHMs).
You are classified as a WHM if you hold or have held:
- a subclass 417 (working holiday) visa
- a subclass 462 (work and holiday) visa
- an associated bridging visa.
This change is related to a new income tax rate for working holiday makers which was introduced by the Australian Government in December 2016, and is effective from 1 July 2017.
How to claim DASP?
Apply online using ATO’s DASP online application system
Who cannot claim a DASP?
- Australian citizens
- New Zealand citizens
- Permanent Australian residents
- Retirement visa holders
- Investor retirement visa holders
If you are in one of the above categories, you have the right to retire in Australia, so you cannot claim a DASP. However, if you are a New Zealand citizen leaving Australia permanently, you may be able to transfer your super to New Zealand.
- If you have left Australia, phone ATO on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8.00am and 5.00pm Australian Eastern Standard Time, Monday to Friday and ask to be put through to the Super area.
- If you are still in Australia, phone ATO on 13 10 20 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday, to speak to a tax officer.
- Email ATO at [email protected]
- Write ATO at
Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 3100
Penrith NSW 2740