Tax time checklist
Lodging your tax return is easier when you have everything ready that you will need.
You will need your:
- tax file number
- bank details (BSB and account number) to receive any refund owed
Details of your income and expenses
These could include:
- details from payment summaries from employers, super funds, Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- statements from banks and financial institutions showing interest received
- details of foreign pensions or other foreign income received
- employment termination payment summaries
- receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses
- details of any child support payments made.
If you have a spouse, you will need details of their income and expenses
If you have shares, units, managed funds or other investments you will need details of:
- dividend payments and distributions from managed funds
- any investment gains or losses from the disposal of shares, units and rental properties.
If you own a rental property you will need details of:
- rental income earned
- interest charged on money you borrowed for the rental property
- other expenses relating to the property, including any expenditure on capital works.